Summer Vacation

Ironically, my day to blog about the summer is also my kids last day of school. To be honest, I have mixed feeling about this. What parent doesn’t, especially a stay at home parent? Yes, it’s going to be great not having to get up at the crack of dawn to get them ready for school (if my little twinkies will actually do momma a favor and sleep in. Not holding my breath on that one). Yes, it’s going to be fun doing all the summery thing we do like going to the pool, grabbing lunch and heading to the park, slip and sliding, and cookouts. All that is great and I truly look forward to spending time with my kids and just having fun with no worry of school the next morning.

BUT. Prepare yourself. Huge whine here. You can roll your eyes if you want to. I already miss my mornings and summer vacation hasn’t officially started yet. LOL. For the next eight weeks, I am going to have to reacquaint myself to the constant chatter of two hyperactive five-year-olds. Let’s not forget the bickering, too. I will have to find creative ways to keep them busy and far away from the dreaded word bored. My kids and bored equals chaos. And chaos will reign with them just being at home. I will have to structure a new schedule to write and pretty much get used to nonstop interruptions. 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for the next eight weeks. Will I make it with my sanity in check?

So I am telling myself to breath deep and exhale the bad mojo. Tomorrow WILL be different. Accept it and move on. So, today, as a final hurrah to the school year, I am sitting on my deck with a cup of coffee, soaking up the last moment of silence I will have until August 25th. The clock is ticking. Only an hour and half left before they will be home and the summer will begin:)

Esme

5 comments:

Anne Rainey said...

Last day of school here too, Esme. I do look forward to having them home, but the writing time will alter a bit. Instead of starting around 9am like I do now, I'll probaby start right after I get my hubby off to work at 7am. That will give me a few hours before the loud roar of teenagers begin.

Mine are 13 and 15 and while they DO sleep in, the broken record 'I'm bored' sound is still the same. LOL

Abby Niles said...

And summer has begun. LOL. Bickering five minutes in the door.

Anne--I cringe to see they never grow out of the "I'm bored." phase. I have a friend that anytime her kids say they are bored, she tells them to find something to do or SHE will find them something to do and she promises they wouldn't like her choice (some kind of chore. LOL) Her kids find something to do, so I think I will be using that technique this summer.

Vonda Sinclair said...

Great post, Esme!! Hope you find some writing time and some time to relax.

Carly Carson said...

Where do you live that the kids only have 2 months off? My kids are home for 3 months. But that trick works a charm - you're bored? I have something for you to do. lol

Carly

Carol Ericson said...

Ah Esme, that's the difference between stay at home moms (or writing at home moms!) and working out of the house moms! I LOVE summers. I mean, I still have to get up in the morning and go to work anyway but during the summer there's no homework, projects, studying for tests, lunches to make, concerts to attend and the sports are at a minimum too - just soccer (which is year-round for us!) - a few practices a week and a couple of tournaments. So it's a much less hectic time of year for me. And I generally have an easier time writing at night because the kids don't have homework. Plus my kids do Jr. Lifeguards at the beach every day for five weeks, and then I put my younger one in a soccer camp and a surf camp, so that keeps them busy. So after all that activity if they want to play video games, that's OK. We have one week of school left - still have a few tests this week.