Tis the season to be jolly!

I love Christmas. Always have. I'm the oldest child of four, and growing up my parents used to let me distribute presents from under the tree to my younger brother and sister on Christmas morning. Is it any wonder I love the holiday?

But here is some interesting Christmas trivia you may not know:

-Germany is usually credited with starting the Christmas tree tradition in the 16th century.

-Christmas was formally declared a federal U.S. holiday by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1870.

-The White House Historical Association claims president Benjamin Harrison had the first recorded Christmas tree in 1889.

-President Theodore Roosevelt, an avowed environmentalist, banned Christmas trees from the White House during his presidency (1901-1909) because he believed so many trees were cut down for the holiday that it contributed to deforestation.

-Alabama was the first state to recognize Christmas as an official holiday. Oklahoma was the last.

-St. Nicholas was said to originally come from Turkey.

-Mexico is responsible for the poinsettia plant.

-And... most interesting trivia question of all. Do you know who Rudolph's father is? It's... wait for it... Donner! Bet you didn't know that one!!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all. I hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday season (no matter which one you celebrate... Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Bodhi Day or whatever). My best to you!

See you in 2017!
Jenna
www.jennaives.com

 

No comments: